Friday, July 5, 2013

Finishing New York


Victor, NY
July 4, 2013 

Today we closed out the Ravenwood Junior and crowed champions.  In the final round we saw a big rain storm and a big comeback. Unlike former rounds the rain did not force a delay in the Golf. The rain was vigorous, but it didn’t come with thunder and lightning so play continued as usual. The comeback was from our winner Cheng Jin. He was the in fourth to last group, and got the title after firing a final-round 66. Jin played his best when it mattered most; it was quite impressive to see him win his second title. Ravenwood was not an easy track and we had two 66s this week. There was solid golf all over the place in Victor. 

For the first time since we have started this internship we were not in private housing. This week in Victor, we stayed in a hotel. I don’t think anyone on Team five was complaining about it. Woodcliff Hotel was fantastic and particularly awesome for me. I had a room to myself that included plenty of space and a king size bed. Host families are great, but I didn’t mind the change up this week, the accommodations this week were prime. 

The final round of this tournament fell on the Fourth of July. This meant flags on the teeing grounds, extra jazz in the starting tent, and some fun after the round. All staff did a great job wrapping things up, and we were done by 3:30. This was a new record for team five.  After we left the course we went to a Minor League Baseball game. The Rochester Red Wings were taking on the Pawtucket Red Sox in a Fourth of July showdown. I was excited because I got to see my Sox Triple A team, but all of us had a good time at the ball park. Following the game there was a firework show, because apparently an Independence Day isn’t complete without some fireworks. 

Overall the week at Ravenwood was great. We were efficient and we had some fun. It was my first time in that area of New York, and Ravenwood Golf Club was a real solid course. In a month the area will be occupied by the PGA Championship. The major championship will be at a different course, but same region. Highlights of the week included watching a big bird hunt (and succeed) for his breakfast while taking pictures, and getting out early and heading to a ball game on the fourth. Tomorrow we head up to Lancaster, Pa., for the Rolex Tournament of Champions. This is the big one, should be fun.

OB: 

Thanks for the memories Paul. I know it was the right move for the Celtics to blow things up and start over. That being said I am pretty said that Paul Pierce will not always be a Celtic. Pierce is my favorite Celtic of all time, and it won’t be the same without him. I was really hoping he was going to play his whole career in green. The NBA is a business and it doesn’t always work out like everyone hopes. I still remember one of the first games I ever went to Pierce hit a bank three against the Pacers to win the game on my birthday. I will never forget him out-dueling Lebron in the east-semis in ’08, and of course I will never forget #34 being the best player in the series that raised banner #17 at the TD Garden. He always wanted to take the big shot, and he usually made it. It will be very tough to watch Paul in a different uniform. I wish him the best next year unless Brooklyn is playing the Cs. Thanks for the memories Paul, and I look forward to being at the Garden in a few years to see #34 get raised up near banner #17. 


While taking pictures on No. 14 this bird got some breakfast









No comments:

Post a Comment