Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Back to the Juniors

ASHLAND, Ky. 
June 12, 2013

There was a time when I struggled to get up for an 11 a.m. class. I would always set my alarm for 10:22, but after a couple of snoozes I wouldn't get out of bed until about 10:40. As I begrudgedly walked to class I thought to myself "I wish I got more sleep," in my hayday sleeping in was considered noon or after. This internship has turned my definition of sleeping in upside down. Today marked the second day in a row that I set a 4:30 a.m. alarm. I am starting to get use to early mornings and funcationing before noon. There's no doubt that this new sleeping arrangement will help me out in the long run. I guess I should start acting more like a normal human, and less like a bat. The drastic alarms will help me greatly when I enter the "real world," if that place actually exists.

The Natural Resource Partners Bluegrass Junior is our event this week, and it seems to be a special one on the AJGA calendar. The event has excelled in many areas including longivety. This year marks the 30th anniversary of the event. The people of Ashland and the Bellefonte Country Club really seem to care about this event, which is great to see.

This event has many layers. First there was a qualifier to get into the tournament, then there was a Junior-AM,  then a practice round, followed by another Junior-AM. All those events lead to today. 144 juniors got the 30th NRP Bluegrass Junior under way with first round action. There was as lot going on all over the course before this day, but when the first tee-times came things seemed normal, the ACTUAL TOURNAMENT had started. The golf was solid as always, there were a couple of 66s and many rounds under 70 in the Boys Division. I was the starter today which I really enjoy because I get to talk to all the juniors. One thing I am still getting use to is talking with someone who is disappointed in a 74. There are just so many different levels of golf.


OB: (non internship thoughts) 

Tonight is a special night in the world of Hockey. Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final commences tonight. This is a particularly special night because my team the Boston Bruins are playing for their second cup in three years. After a rollar coaster regular season the Bs nabbed the 4th seed in the east. This lead to a matchup against the less superior Maple Leafs. Unfortatly the Bs snoozed through most of the series. Then game 7 happened. Down 4-1 late in the third Milan Lucic was not ready to exit the playoffs, he turned up the heat, and with :52 seconds left in the 3rd period Patrice Bergeron scored to make it 4-4. Bergeron added one more in OT to advance the Bs onto the second round.

After the most remarkable comeback I have seen in the history of my life the bruins sailed into the cup final taking care of the Rangers and Penguins in just nine games total. The match-up for the final couldn't be any better. Blackhawks vs. Bruins is an original six match-up in two great hockey cities. This should be an epic series and I cannot wait to watch as much of it as I can.

I wish I could be back in New England watching with my friends and family, but for now a basement in Ashland, Ky., will do just fine. Tonight I caught a break because game one was on NBC. The next couple are on NBC Sports Network which is not easy to find down south. Looks like games two and three may have to be iPad games. This channel is a must-have in New England, but hockey just isnt as popular down south, maybe someone should tell Gary Betman?

My totally biased prediction is that the Bruins will win the title in six, and raise the cup in the Garden. Winning it in Boston would be really special. During this unreal era of Boston sports (7 parades in 11 years) only one title has been won in the city. The 2008 Celtics whooped the Lakers inside the Garden to raise another banner. This would be a great time to make it two titles won within the 617 border.

GO BS
CUE THE DUCKBOATS!

-Tim Hamilton



State Frame of Bellefonte Country Club


No comments:

Post a Comment