Sunday, June 23, 2013

Timber

Killington, Vermont 
June 23, 2013

For the first time since May 19 I didn't set an alarm clock this morning. I was not due at the course until 4:30 p.m. What a change of pace this was. I didn't get out bed until 10:45 a.m. This really brought me back to a few months ago when that was a regular wake up time. It was fantastic to catch up on sleep and chill for a little while. Once I got to the course the chillin went a way in a hurry.

As soon as fellow sleep-iner Kelsey and I got to the course things got crazy. We saw lightning on our ride in, and we knew that we were walking into a delay. What we didn't know is that this was not going to be a standard delay. First there was a small storm that didn't do much. Then the big one came, and luckily everyone was off the course. This storm was insane, torrential downpour with lightning and high winds. At one point in the storm I looked out the window and a tree fell on No. 1. I had never seen a tree fall like that before, it was pretty crazy. The worst of it didn't last long, but the timing and severity of the storm forced us to cancel the qualifier. Team five made it one week without a weather delay, but that didn't last long.

The tree that fell on No. 1 during the big storm today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment